Having a baby is one of the happiest moments of a mother’s life, but it can also leave you feeling depressed if you have a hard time losing your pregnancy weight. Fortunately, there are several different techniques that you can use to help drop weight, and one of them does not even require any exercising.
Tips for Losing Baby Weight
- Breastfeed your Baby – Studies have proven that mothers who nurse their babies are able to naturally lose some of the weight that they gained during their pregnancy. According to a study that was conducted by the Danish National Birth Cohort, women who breastfeed exclusively are typically able to lose all of their baby weight within six months. While nursing you should eat well-balanced meals but no dieting or vigorous exercise as those activities may cause higher levels of toxins to be released into your breast milk.Many women find the use of nursing pillows helps them to feel more comfortable during breastfeeding because it positions the baby close to the breast without them having to lift the baby. This also helps to eliminate soreness in areas such as the joints and muscles.
- Yoga – It is natural to feel reluctant to take on a major exercise routine just after giving birth, but it is important to take steps to get physically active. There are several yoga classes that would be beneficial to a new mother, including some that can actually be taken with the newborn. By signing up for a yoga class, you can regain your flexibility and lose weight. If you are experiencing postpartum depression, you are also likely to experience some relief from your symptoms.If you decide to take a yoga class it is a good idea to let your instructor know that you have recently given birth. This way some of the exercises can be modified to aid in the healing of your body. In particular, nursing mom’s may feel uncomfortable laying on their stomach or in certain other poses that may add pressure to their breasts. The instructor can modify these types of exercises.
- Get a Jogging Stroller – Many mothers feel like they do not have enough time to go to a gym, but that does not mean that you have to sacrifice your health. Instead, you can purchase a jogging stroller to take your infant with you when you exercise. As an added bonus, many babies will be easily put to sleep by the motion of the stroller, so this is a great way to lose weight while getting your baby to take a nap.
- Buy a Baby Seat for Your Bike – If you prefer to take a bicycle ride instead of jogging, you can easily attach a baby seat to most bikes. This will enable you to easily transport your infant with you while you go out for a ride, and you can also utilize this method to become more eco-friendly. After all, if you need to run an errand that is relatively close to home, you can ride your bike instead of driving. This will also help you save gas money, and it will introduce your child to healthy habits at a young age.
- Workout at Home – If all else fails, you can use workout DVDs to exercise at home. This will enable you to place your baby safely within your line of sight at all times, and it will also make it easier to fit in a short workout whenever you have a spare 15 or 20 minutes. Many new moms make the mistake of doing crunches in order to get their pre-baby abs back in shape. However, the best method of getting your abs back in order is to do a mix of exercises that target all of your abdominal muscles.Many fitness experts have developed exercise regimens specifically for new mothers that give special attention to the weakened areas of the body due to childbirth as well as areas that you want to concentrate on to lose weight. Typical exercises that will help you to lose the baby fat include Planks and single leg planks, single leg circles, quarter curls and toe taps which are a modified sit-up.
By losing your baby weight, you will be in better shape to deal with the demands of your young child. Keep in mind that the toddler years can be especially physically demanding, and this makes it a good idea to take steps to safely lose your pregnancy weight now.